Everything's heavy underground.

HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

xexes plays Pokemon World Online, bashes keyboard

Go down 
AuthorMessage
xexes

PostSubject: xexes plays Pokemon World Online, bashes keyboard   Tue Aug 04, 2009 6:59 pm

My Pokemans. Let me show u dem.

The truth of the matter is that Pokemon is one of the excellent RPG monster games that no one admits they like.

In brief, PWO is a game to avoid, no matter how much of a diehard poke-fanatic are.

Pokemon World Online has a lot of potential, I mean, a lot. To be able to successfully ride off of a once-was-huge and successfull franchise and create a free no-hooks MMO, we're talking Pokemon crazes like back in the day of Pokemon CCG where stores were rushed and every pack was sold the day it arrived.

After searching through all of the multiplayer pokemon abandoned projects, dead links, false advertising, and just plain stupid game google search results, I found two mmo pokemons. One was an entire in-browser game. Okaaaaay, I thought and opened it up to find that you have to join a 'room' before you can play. Ef that ish. Fail, right then and there. I hate browser games. Pokemon is too big to be a browser game and my browser crashes often. Secondly, all of the questions that a 'room' creates. I'm not even going to type it out.

Next runner up was PWO, a client/server kind of pokemon game. Except... you can't look at the website with firefox. After a couple of hours browsing their forums I found out this is because they have a very useless Java applet that runs invisibly and is supposed to keep track of how long you browse the site for someday added bonuses. Every page on the site, every page on the website forums, and sometimes when you have no browser up at all and are just playing the game (wth?). Fine, I decided I can play the game without the browser; having beat yellow, red, blue, silver, I should know the game well enough.

I was met with a spiffy looking client with a clean interface and good updater. Logging in, there was a mass of other newbie players on the screen, and the chatbox scrolling at a rate of one line a second. Next, I tried to do what came naturally to me, move around. It took me a good minute to figure out that is WASD as well as arrow keys. Okay, so we are not using our mouses in this game, I decide. Next task appeared to be talking to an NPC as there was no way to escape this tiny map. That took me a long ass time. I clicked every square on the screen, scoured every menu, went through the forums, pressed every key, and finally asked for help through chat. "Face and press Space. And READ through the instructions next time n00b.". Oh, you mean the instructions that aren't on the fail website, nor the fail forums, and you have to already know to be able to access in-game?

After pressing space I got a nice dialog box with unnative pokemon npc talk. To advance to the next screen, you have to click the button. And so began my journey. Charmander and I went off through the woods, beat down hundreds upon thousands of pidgeys, rattattas, caterpies, metapods, weedles, kakunas, beat brock, and explored through Mt.Moon. The game felt like it crawled along the pace that the normal series went at. Money was hard to come by and unequipable holding item wooden-plank was a plenty.

And then I put the game down and quit playing.

The audience for this game are youngsters and unsurpringly, that is what it is filled with. Fair enough, but the combination of mouse clicks and keypresses is very fustrating and awkward. These guys have a thing or two to learn from the FPS industry. A sore point was that the game deviated greatly from the 'Pokemon' I knew and loved. I spent the entire time I was playing wondering 'which' pokemon this one was - red, blue, silver, gold...? And still have not figured it out. Some of the game seems true to the game cartridges while other facts like NPCs were different. For instance, there is no true 'Pokemart NPC', only an auctioneer, where you buy from other players offered items and a might-be fixed-price offical pokemart price. Many in-game items were missing, pokemons unavailable, and certain aspects of the game were gone. When you walk with a poisoned pokemon, he does not get weaker, and when your pokemon is asleep, he still attacks normally. The last blow for this game is that there appears to be a place for many servers, but there is only one up. And only sometimes. After checking into the game four days in a row to the only server being down, with no notices, I decided it was time to check out. The list goes on and on of bad things. Parts of the website do not work. There is no way to 'turn off' the ability for other people to send you a battle request (often there are 5-20 people on your screen, and most of them want to battle you for meaningless battle ranking points). In game glitches. Reports of your pokemon disappearing and being nonrecoverable (!). Too many damn players in one tiny piece of grass. Not being able to enter most houses (lack of mapping). Not being able to re-challange a gym leader for 48 hours of loosing. Having to fight the same aggressive NPCs after 48 hours. Being spammed with battle requests every second by other players.

I'd give this game a D. If you need your pokemon fix, go get an emulator. Or better yet, just go buy a nintendo and a pokemon cartridge. I am sure you can get it for < $10 nowadays. The game crowded, frequently offline, glitchy, and incomplete.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
George Clooney

PostSubject: Re: xexes plays Pokemon World Online, bashes keyboard   Tue Aug 04, 2009 7:43 pm

Digglet is disapointed, you dont want to dispapoint digglet.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jewsus

PostSubject: Re: xexes plays Pokemon World Online, bashes keyboard   Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:41 pm

I started getting nostalgic about the pokemon games. I plan to play them again
Back to top Go down
View user profile
xexes

PostSubject: Re: xexes plays Pokemon World Online, bashes keyboard   Thu Aug 06, 2009 7:27 am

Why can't there be a good Pokemans MMO? ='(
Back to top Go down
View user profile
George Clooney

PostSubject: Re: xexes plays Pokemon World Online, bashes keyboard   Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:25 am

xexes if you realy want, jewsus and I will RP a pokemon game for ya king
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jewsus

PostSubject: Re: xexes plays Pokemon World Online, bashes keyboard   Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:44 pm

A wild Clooney has appeared!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
George Clooney

PostSubject: Re: xexes plays Pokemon World Online, bashes keyboard   Thu Aug 06, 2009 3:02 pm

WOW gonna neeed a masterball for that one
Back to top Go down
View user profile
xexes

PostSubject: Re: xexes plays Pokemon World Online, bashes keyboard   Thu Aug 06, 2009 8:59 pm

xexes threw a rock.
Wild Clooney ran away!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
George Clooney

PostSubject: Re: xexes plays Pokemon World Online, bashes keyboard   Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:34 pm

Catching a chansey in the safari zone. GURR Mad
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SaigonTimeMD
Admin

PostSubject: Re: xexes plays Pokemon World Online, bashes keyboard   Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:32 am

Wild SCYTHER has appeared.
SAGAN threw SAFARI BALL.
Oh darn, it appeared to be caught!
SAGAN threw SAFARI BALL.
SAGAN threw SAFARI BALL.
SAGAN threw SAFARI BALL.
SAGAN threw SAFARI BALL.
SAGAN threw SAFARI BALL.
SAGAN threw SAFARI BALL.
SAGAN threw BAIT.
SAGAN threw SAFARI BALL.
SAGAN threw BAIT.
SAGAN threw SAFARI BALL.
SAGAN threw BAIT.
SAGAN threw SAFARI BALL.
SAGAN threw BAIT.
SAGAN threw SAFARI BALL.
SAGAN threw BAIT.
SAGAN threw SAFARI BALL.
SAGAN threw ROCK.
Wild SCYTHER has fled!

Wild EXEGGCUTE has appeared!
SAGAN threw SAFARI BALL.
SAGAN caught Wild EXEGGCUTE!

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://wabbits.forumotion.com
Jewsus

PostSubject: Re: xexes plays Pokemon World Online, bashes keyboard   Fri Aug 07, 2009 5:25 am

I hated the safari zone. You could never get anything good. All the pokemon would be some awesome to train against, and were not really useful except to have in a collection.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
xexes

PostSubject: Re: xexes plays Pokemon World Online, bashes keyboard   Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:07 pm

Saigon summed up Safari zone pretty good.
I caught a shiny pokemon once.
I wanna say it was a chansey but I really don't remember...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jewsus

PostSubject: Re: xexes plays Pokemon World Online, bashes keyboard   Sat Aug 08, 2009 2:10 pm

Shiney pokemon?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
George Clooney

PostSubject: Re: xexes plays Pokemon World Online, bashes keyboard   Sun Aug 09, 2009 12:53 pm

Ya I forget what version but they were just the same as a regular one, save for a bit diffrent a color.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jewsus

PostSubject: Re: xexes plays Pokemon World Online, bashes keyboard   Sun Aug 09, 2009 8:38 pm

I've caught those before. I've been playing fire red now. I accidentally saved over my emerald data T_T so i started a new game
Back to top Go down
View user profile
George Clooney

PostSubject: Re: xexes plays Pokemon World Online, bashes keyboard   Sun Aug 09, 2009 9:36 pm

Does anyone know a good place to get a SNes emulator(or be willing to walk me through it step by step) , im having some trouble getting games to work on it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: xexes plays Pokemon World Online, bashes keyboard   

Back to top Go down

xexes plays Pokemon World Online, bashes keyboard
Page 1 of 1